- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup soybean shortening
Cold water, 1/2 -1 cup
Filling (recipe adapted from Karissa’s Vegan Kitchen):
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups unsweetened soymilk
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Instructions for Chocolate Pie
- Whisk together flour and salt.
- With pastry cutter, cut in soybean shortening. Mixture should be coarse crumbles resembling corn meal.
- Slowly add water (1/2 to 1 cup) to mixture and combine until dough is moist and holds form.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling out.
- Weigh crust down and bake at 375 degrees for20-25 minutes, until bottom and edges are golden brown.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in the soymilk.
- Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a gentle simmer. Stir constantly once the mixture starts to steam. Once it thickens (this should happen within seconds of starting to simmer), remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips until fully melted.
- Pour into baked crust.
- Let cool for about 4 hours in the fridge, or until set.