- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Makes: 10 servings
- 2 teaspoons GOYA® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 package GOYA® Chorizo, finely chopped (7 oz.)
- 1⁄2 Onion, finely chopped (about ¾ cup)
- 1⁄2 Green bell pepper, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 teaspoon GOYA® Minced Garlic (or 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped)
- 1 can GOYA® Tomato Sauce (7 oz.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon GOYA® Adobo All-Purpose Seasoning with Pepper
- 1 package GOYA® Discos, thawed (14 oz.)
- All-purpose flour (for rolling out dough)
- GOYA® Vegetable Oil (for frying)
Instructions for Chorizo Empanadas
Heat olive oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add chorizo, onions and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and chorizo is heated through, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add tomato sauce and ½ cup water; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens and completely coats chorizo, about 5 minutes. Season with Adobo.
Transfer chorizo mixture to medium heat-proof bowl. Let sit until steam subsides. Refrigerate until cold. (Note: Chorizo filling can be stored covered in refrigerator for up to 1 week).
On lightly floured work surface, using rolling pin, roll out disco until about ½ inch larger in diameter. Spoon heaping tablespoon cooled chorizo mixture into middle of dough.
Moisten edges with water and fold in half to form half-moon shape. Seal edges by pressing with fork. Repeat with remaining discos and filling to make 10 empanadas.
Heat 2 inches vegetable oil in large, heavy pot over medium-high heat until vegetable oil registers 350°F on deep-fry thermometer. Alternately, heat oil in deep fryer to 350°F. Fry empanadas in batches until dough is crisp and golden brown and filling is hot, about 5-6 minutes per batch. Transfer empanadas to paper towels to drain. Serve warm.
Recipe courtesy of Goya